Jamie Geller influences millions every day. Known as the “Jewish Rachael Ray” (The New York Times), and the “Queen of Kosher” (CBS), 7-time best-selling author Jamie Geller is the Founder and CEO of Kosher Network international, the #1 Global Kosher Food Media Company, home to @jamiegeller and JamieGeller.com featuring over 10,000 recipes and the viral @jewlishbyjamie how-to videos with 1 Billion Views.
Roasted potato leek soup with onion haystack
This classic baked potato soup gets an upgrade with a crispy, crunchy Onion Haystack topper. To make ahead, you can roast the veggies up to 2 days in advance, then store covered in the refrigerator. Or make the soup, cool and store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, place soup in a pot over medium heat. Add a little broth or water if needed if the soup is too thick. Onion Haystack can be made 1 day in advance and stored in a brown paper bag at room temperature.
When pureeing the soup, an immersion blender makes easy work of getting all the lumps out. But if you don’t have one, a regular blender works, too, you just have to do it carefully. Hot liquids expand in the blender, so blend only a few ladlefuls of soup at a time. Fill the blender no more than halfway, place a towel on the lid with your hand on the towel, and blend on low speed. Transfer pureed soup to a bowl or pot until all the soup is blended.
DURATION: 63 minutes
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 53 minutes
SERVINGS: 4 TO 6
4 large Yukon Gold potatoes, not peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 large leeks, white parts only, sliced
4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup white wine
8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
Garnish: snipped chives, sliced scallions, or Onion Haystack
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Toss potatoes, leeks and garlic with evoo, salt and pepper and spread out on prepared sheet. Roast at 400°F for 40 minutes, until medium brown and caramelized.
3. Transfer vegetables to a large soup pot over medium heat. And add white wine. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to cook out the alcohol. And add broth, and cook for 10 minutes more.
4. Blend in pot with an immersion blender until smooth. Or carefully transfer hot soup to a blender and puree in small batches until soup is smooth.
5. Garnish with snipped chives, scallions, or Onion Haystack. Serve immediately. If making in advance, cool soup then store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, place soup in a pot over medium heat. Add a little broth or water if needed if the soup is too thick.
Roast chicken with chestnuts and orange yam mash
This Roast Chicken is made complete with the wonderful flavors of chestnuts and fennel and served with a side of slightly sweet yams.
DURATION: 72 minutes
PREP TIME: 12 minutes
COOK TIME: 60 minutes
1 bulb fennel, cut into 8 large wedges
6 cipollini onions, peeled and halved
1 (4- to 5- pound) whole organic chicken
1-2 tablespoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 sprig fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
1 (3.5-ounce) bag roasted chestnuts
3 yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
¼ cup orange juice
2 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil
Preheat oven to 400°F.
1. Arrange fennel and onions in the bottom of a roasting pan or heavy cast iron skillet. Rinse chicken with cold water, pat dry and set in the middle of the pan.
2. Season inside cavities and outside of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Place thyme springs on top of vegetables and drizzle everything with olive oil.
3. Roast uncovered for about 1 hour or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Sprinkle chestnuts in roasting pan for last 15 minutes of roasting to heat.
4. While chicken is roasting, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add yams and simmer until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well and return to pot. Mash with a potato masher or fork and stir in orange juice and vegan butter or coconut oil.